Subject: re: new openblocks
To: Chrischen <cchen@nougat.org>
From: M L Riechers <mlr@rse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/31/2001 17:59:01
> So I was in Tokyo last week, and stopped by Plat'Home, famous for
> their small Openblocks PPC-based miniture computers....
> ...so I took the chance and got one....

Cool enough, but how do I get one?  Are they exportable?  I don't read
Japanese, and can't even so much as read the web page, much less the
documentation, so I'm stuck.  I might be willing to port some of these
guys, (particularly the ones (if) based on MPC823), but right now I
don't know where to begin.  Perhaps you can point me (possibly us) in
the right direction?

For a port itself, check out netbsd-announce Wed, 8 Aug 2001 03:01:23
-0700:

>    - Takashi Hosokawa, <takashi@netbsd.org>, who works for
>      Plat'Home CO., LTD.[2], a well-known UNIX system solution company
>      in Tokyo, Japan.  At Plat'Home, Takashi has been engaged in
>      developing OpenBlockS[3], a PowerPC 860 based micro server.
>      With great affinity, he has finished a new port of NetBSD to
>      the OpenBlockS micro server.  He will be working on integrating
>      his new port into the NetBSD source tree, and will take on the
>      role of NetBSD/openblocks port maintainer.  Takashi's other
>      interests include X11 and internationalization.

Also, port-powerpc, Tue, 16 Oct 2001 19:07:10 +0900 (JST), From:
Takashi Hosokawa <takashi@plathome.co.jp>

> I'm now porting NetBSD on OpenBlockS (mpc860). But current pmap has
> bugs. This is only the reason why I do not import mpc8xx port into
> CVS....

Ah, yes, the pmap does have bugs: The pmap came from i386, and, I
agree, IMHO, it's not suitable for at least the mpc line -- I don't
know much about a PPC 405gp.  A number of us have talked of re-writing
the pmap, but so far we've been pretty quiet about it.

Best regards,

-Mike