Subject: Re: Why not change disk naming?
To: Julio Merino <juli@klamath.local>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/30/2001 17:51:50
    Date:        Sun, 30 Dec 2001 11:28:33 +0100
    From:        Julio Merino <juli@klamath.local>

  | You are forgetting that FreeBSD is on disk wd0 and NetBSD on wd1.

Yes, I wasn't aware of that.   And yes, in that case, there's no way
to make a NetBSD label for wd0 that will refer to other slices on wd0
without wrecking it for NetBSD.   You could add a (very small) NetBSD
partition on that drive though - just big enough for a label.  As long
as NetBSD can find its own label on the drive, it will leave everyone
else's alone.   It actually only finds the FreeBSD label because NetBSD
and FreeBSD used to use the same MBR type - if you turned off compatability
support for label type 165 in the kernel, then the FreeBSD label would be
ignored, and you could safely use mbrlabel to generate an (in core) NetBSD
label to access the slides.   Accessing the FreeBSD partitions inside its
slice in a reasonable way would be a challenge though.

Given the choice (and assuming there's a free MBR slot) I'd just define
a single track NetBSD partition, to use to stick a label in.

kre