Subject: Re: Why not change disk naming? - Help!
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <juli@merino.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/29/2001 11:43:51
--yEPQxsgoJgBvi8ip

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 11:37:12AM -0800, Andrew Gillham wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 08:25:51PM +0100, Julio Merino wrote:
> >=20
> Take a look at mbrlabel, I think it will help you out here.
>=20

Yep, it worked. I tried it and updated the wd0 disklabel with partitions
found on the MBR. BTW what is that in-core label and the other I can't
remember how it is called?.

But it was not as good as it seemed... guess it... when rebooting into
FreeBSD: disklabel corrupted!!

Yep, I've booted into NetBSD and did:
# disklabel -e wd0
I went and deleted the partitions made by mbrlabel. Well, but NetBSD
is not able to write it! :((

Oh my god... I placed FreeBSD's installation disk and remade the
disklabel. Well, but by mistake I forgot to remove the newfs option...
So FreeBSD installation is lost. I've to reinstall it.

Well, as it seems, mbrlabel won't help me much as FreeBSD won't read
the disklabel any more. And NetBSD won't write to it! Any other idea?

So... I'm frustrated :p BTW, NetBSD won't write the disklabel because
it finds problems in it. It says that partitions on the disklabel have
an offset bigger than the disk size. I checked, and it is. Why?
Though NetBSD and FreeBSD are able to read the partitions fine...

Thanks though. Going to reinstall FreeBSD now...

>=20
> -Andrew

--=20
La ignorancia es la felicidad.