Subject: Why not change disk naming?
To: None <>
From: Julio Merino <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/28/2001 11:52:17

Hi all

I usually use FreeBSD, where disks are called adXsYZ, where X stands for
the disk number, Y for the slice number and Z for the disklabel letter.

I also know how NetBSD (and OpenBSD) name disks, with wdXY, where X is
the disk number and Y the disklabel letter.

IMHO, FreeBSD naming is much more powerful and with a better design.
In NetBSD I haven't found any way to mount my linux home partition,
which is ad0s9 in FreeBSD and hda9 in linux. Maybe I have to hack the
disklabel to add this partition? Weird.

Why NetBSD does not adopt the FreeBSD naming scheme? Or maybe redesign
it? I personally like the wd* naming if you only have _one_ disklabel
and _one_ slice (i.e. my firewall disks). But when you have several
partitions/slices, this becomes messy.

So... will NetBSD at any point change this? Why/why not?

La ignorancia es la felicidad.

Julio Merino (Slink) <>

Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (FreeBSD)
Comment: For info see