Subject: Re: $cupsd isn't set properly
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/2001 21:52:58
On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 11:41:45PM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
e "WARNING:", says /etc/rc.  "$cupsd not set properly".  Indeed, say I; it's not
> set at all, nor is there an entry for it in /etc/default/rc.conf, nor in
> /usr/src/etc/default/rc.conf.  Hmm; CUPS appears to be used in pkgsrc.  Since
> I started this with no idea of what it is, I'm assuming it's a dependancy for
> something... but I can't figure out what.

If you update your pkgsrc, specifically bsd.pkg.install.mk, then the rc.d
script won't be automatically installed anymore:

----------------------------
revision 1.12
date: 2001/12/18 19:54:00;  author: jlam;  state: Exp;  lines: +7 -1
By default, don't install the rc.d scripts into /etc/rc.d.  Despite the
fact that they don't do anything unless the appropriate variables are set
in rc.conf, people really dislike the warning emitted at startup.  For
users that do want the pkg_* tools to handle automatically copying and
removing the rc.d scripts, the mk.conf variable to set is
INSTALL_RCD_SCRIPTS=YES.
----------------------------

> Can anyone suggest what might have wanted to install CUPS?  A snippet of
> pkg_info output is included, in case it is informative:
>
> lha-114f            Archive files using LZW compression (.lzh files)
> openslp-1.0.2       Open-source implementation of the Service Location Protocol
> cups-1.1.10.1       Common UNIX Printing System
> libxml2-2.4.10nb1   Xml parser library for GNOME
> pcre-3.4            Perl Compatible Regular Expressions library
> usbutil-0.4         USB developer utilities
> teTeX-bin-1.0.7nb1  TeX distribution for UNIX compatible systems - executables
> teTeX-1.0.7nb1      Thomas Esser's TeX distribution for UNIX compatible systems
> xforms-0.88nb1      Graphical user interface toolkit for X Window System
> lyx-1.1.6.3         Graphical frontend for LaTeX (nearly WYSIWYG)

Does 'pkg_info cups' not tell you which packages require it?

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>