Subject: heads up: softdep change
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/18/2001 12:24:46
I've pulled over some fixes from FreeBSD by Kirk McKusick to the
softdep code that we hadn't incorporated yet. One of them is
to correctly track the numbers of free blocks/inodes, taking
the pending softdeps into account. For this, two new fields
(previously spare ones) were added.

This means that if you're using the FFS_EI option, you should
recompile and install fsck_ffs before booting a new kernel,
in order to have these fields correctly swapped in the case
of fsck repairing the superblock.

If the kernel mutters a little when it mounts filesystems
for the first time with a new kernel, don't worry about it.
If it continues to do that, let me know or file a PR.

Also, in an unrelated change to the fixes mentioned above,
I believe that the 'softdep_write_complete: lock is held'
panics (for people who used DEBUG kernels) should be
history now.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                           fvdl@wasabisystems.com