Subject: Re: Another umass issue (Olympus D-100 camera)
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/15/2001 12:46:14
In message <>, Nathan J. William
s writes:
>Lennart Augustsson <> writes:
>> Try a quirk to disable the short form of READ and WRITE.  There are
>> other devices with this quirk (these quires are in scsiconf.c, I think).
>Ah, that did indeed fix it!
>Given that we don't seem to have any devices with the opposite quirk,
>I kind of like Jason's idea....

I tried the same patch to try to fix kern/13935, but it didn't do the
trick.  Well, I think I tried that patch.  There's already a quirk
table entry for my floppy; I tried adding PQUIRK_ONLYBIG to its entry.
On the other hand, as best I can tell from some diagnostic printf's
scsi_probedev isn't called and that's the only thing that looks at
scsi_quirk_patterns, so it doesn't matter much what I put.  But
that probably shows that I'm far too tired to be allowed near kernel
source today.  (I also tried deleting the code in sd.c that did
short-form reads and writes -- still didn't fix it.)

		--Steve Bellovin,
		Full text of "Firewalls" book now at