Subject: Re: Working USB<->serial spotted in the wild!
To: David Johnston <david@canopus.apana.org.au>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/07/2001 18:13:33
David Johnston <david@canopus.apana.org.au> writes:

> The device is a USB to 9-pin male serial - it's made by BAFO and has model
> number BF-810 (see: http://www.bafo.com.tw/products-EBD-BF810.htm). It's
> based around the Prolific 2303 chip and is reported by the kernel as follows:
>
>     uplcom0 at uhub0 port 2
>     uplcom0: Prolific Technology PL2303 Serial adapter (ATEN/IOGEAR UC232A), rev 1.10/2.00, addr 3
>     ucom0 at uplcom0

I just picked up one of those today. This one was the QVS UR-2000M,
$55 at my local MicroCenter. It seems OK... hotsyncing my Pilot failed
immediately at 115200, failed midway through at 57600, and worked at
38400.

Sadly, it's much uglier than the Keyspan PDA adapter I picked up last
week, which is small, cute, and unsupported (I've had a start at
porting the Linux driver; we have a bunch of the infrastructure needed
for it, it doesn't look very complicated, but it has some abominable
firmware copyright issues).

        - Nathan