Subject: Re: Working USB<->serial spotted in the wild!
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: David Johnston <david@canopus.apana.org.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/07/2001 22:13:06
On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 10:05:39PM -0800, Michael Graff wrote:
> Fry's Electronics sells one as well.  If anyone is interested, I can
> provide the details.  It actually comes with the right gender, too.
> :)
>
> seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach) writes:
>
> > The local Micro Center carries (carried?) a USB/Serial converter made by
> > QVS, under the model number "USC-1000", or "USC-1009F", depending on which
> > label you believe.  It looks as though the "1009F" means it comes with a 25-9

I've been using a USB -> Serial adaptor for a few weeks now on my macppc box
to run my modem connection. The device works fine (though there are bugs in
the USB layer on my machine which kills the serial port every few days).

The device is a USB to 9-pin male serial - it's made by BAFO and has model
number BF-810 (see: http://www.bafo.com.tw/products-EBD-BF810.htm). It's
based around the Prolific 2303 chip and is reported by the kernel as follows:

    uplcom0 at uhub0 port 2
    uplcom0: Prolific Technology PL2303 Serial adapter (ATEN/IOGEAR UC232A), rev 1.10/2.00, addr 3
    ucom0 at uplcom0

	david

--
David Johnston