Subject: should maybe be installed with libraries?
To: None <>
From: Olaf Seibert <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/23/2001 16:13:52
I see a potential for version skew with the current system.

If you build a program P which depends on installed library L, then
L/ is used.

But this version of L/ is the version for the most recent
version in pkgsrc. Program P may not require the most recent version but
may be happy with an older version that was installed earlier.

In this case, the L/ does not belong to the installed
version of L. To make sure that this can never be a problem, we must
install L/ with L, so that when linking with L the from that time is used.

Alternatively, each needs to be backward-compatible to
*all* possibly previously installed versions.

___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder --They that can give up essential
\X/ --liberty to purchase a little temporary safety
--------------deserve neither liberty or safety. - Benjamin Franklin, 1759
---People will accept your ideas much more readily if you tell them that
---Benjamin Franklin said it first. - Unknown