Subject: Re: USB 2.0 for the brave
To: None <>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/22/2001 14:36:17

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 02:07:41AM -0700, Rick Kelly wrote:
> It would be interesting to cluster machines together over firewire or
> USB 2.0 using their full bandwidth.

Hrm. GigE beats out USB 2.0 hands down, and we already support it.
I'm not convinced that going through the TCP/IP stack is actually
more overhead than going through our (as yet uncompleted) USB 2.0

Firewire host-to-host adapters would rock, though. Probably worth
taking a look at what the PAPERS cluster did, if this interests you.
(Not using firewire, obviously, but a similar use of a
high-bandwidth bus to connect hosts.)

       ~ g r @

Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (NetBSD)
Comment: For info see