Subject: Re: USB 2.0 for the brave
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/22/2001 01:05:59
On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 09:31:54PM -0700, Rick Kelly wrote:
> Lennart Augustsson said:
>
> >Oh, and in case you don't know, USB 2.0 is a big speed improvement, 480Mb/s
> >instead of 12Mb/s; connecting disks and network adapters is no longer a joke.
>
> And we get screwed again by billy gates. Windows XP is pushing firewire and
> won't have native support for USB 2.0. Thus, a dearth of USB 2.0 devices.

Since the only real support required -- unless I misunderstand -- is a
driver for a new type of host adapter, this doesn't seem like much of an
obstacle.

Besides, the existence of USB *at all* is a joke -- firewire has been
around, in one form or another, since before USB was even concieved, and
does everything USB does or did, plus more.  And don't get me *started* on
"serial ATA"...

When I was with Sony, we had working Firewire devices including a
SCSI-over-FW data minidisc drive on display at the *1995* Fall Comdex.

    And now he couldn't remember when this passion had flown, leaving him so
  foolish and bewildered and astray: can any man?
						   William Styron