Subject: dual fxp card versus Motorola cable modem
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ken Wellsch <kwellsch@tampabay.rr.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/18/2001 15:19:32
I just swapped out my old dual SMC (tulip based, circa 1996) card
on my firewall box with a newer Intel dual fxp based card (i82558
based, circa 1999) but ran into a bit of a problem.

When I boot the system (using a kernel built from today's cvs
update), the card drops the link connection (no link light), but
unlike my internal network switch, the cable modem does not seem
to want to renegotiate the link - the card's link light comes on,
but the modem does not.  While it is trying to DHCP, I manually
disconnect and then reconnect the cable to the modem and usually,
but not always, the cable modem will finally notice and it's
"PC link" light comes on.

The negotiation seems to work okay when the box first reboots,
(while in the BIOS self-test) but as soon as NetBSD boots, the
link lights all drop again... and only the internal switch seems
to be able to re-establish a connection when the interface is
finally brought up when NetBSD configures the interface.

Is there anything I can do to trigger this most basic of link
negotiation? I've tried nailing the interface to 10baseT and also
manually up'ing and down'ing the connection (with the card link
light going on and off to match) but the silly Motorola cable modem
chooses to ignore this and remains down...

-- Ken Wellsch

Some dmesg details:

NetBSD 1.5Y (ARUNDEL) #0: Sun Nov 18 11:43:20 EST 2001
ppb0 at pci0 dev 15 function 0: Digital Equipment DECchip 21152 PCI-PCI Bridge (rev. 0x03)
pci1 at ppb0 bus 1
pci1: i/o space, memory space enabled
fxp0 at pci1 dev 4 function 0: i82558 Ethernet, rev 5
fxp0: interrupting at irq 5
fxp0: Ethernet address 00:90:27:a8:87:5a
inphy0 at fxp0 phy 1: i82555 10/100 media interface, rev. 0
inphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
fxp1 at pci1 dev 5 function 0: i82558 Ethernet, rev 5
fxp1: interrupting at irq 11
fxp1: Ethernet address 00:90:27:a8:87:5b
inphy1 at fxp1 phy 1: i82555 10/100 media interface, rev. 0
inphy1: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto