Subject: Re: VAX code generation problem wrt IPSEC?
To: None <,>
From: Olaf Seibert <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/12/2001 01:04:24
On Sun 11 Nov 2001 at 21:57:15 +0100, Olaf Seibert wrote:
> I am now compiling a -O0 kernel to see if it makes more difference.

For starters, it breaks savecore and domain lookups:

savecore: can't find device 3536/854608
ntpdate[111]: can't find host
ntpdate[111]: no servers can be used, exiting
00:49:33.214965 >  63033+ A? (42)
(with no reply)
00:50:48.441532 > icmp: echo request

and pings are not replied to anymore.

00:57:35.688598 > icmp: echo request

Pings from the vax are also not replied by the alpha??? tcpdump, running
on the alpha can see them though.

I briefly thought I had not turned off all IPsec stuff on the alpha side
(azenomei) but  since tcpdunp shows this stuff in the clear, that cannot
be the case.

Looking at netstat -s gives apparently the answer:

        42720111 total packets received
        195 bad header checksums			(and rising)

So if -O0 really breaks all that stuff it will not be very useful for
testing. At least the checksum algorithm is affected, maybe that gives a
hint for what's wrong with IPsec.

___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder --They that can give up essential
\X/ --liberty to purchase a little temporary safety
--------------deserve neither liberty or safety. - Benjamin Franklin, 1759
---People will accept your ideas much more readily if you tell them that
---Benjamin Franklin said it first. - Unknown