Subject: Re: growfs utility from FreeBSD under NetBSD
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/09/2001 18:09:03
On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 01:55:31PM -0800, Brian Buhrow wrote:
> 	Hello.  Has anyone ported the growfs(8) utility from FreeBSD 4.4-release
> to NetBSD?  If not, are there any glaring differences between our ffs
> layout and FreeBSD's ffs layout?

It's on my list of things to look at.

You may have noticed that I've been syncing in various changes to ffs
from FreeBSD & OpenBSD, such that our superblocks are now `in sync'
(although we don't have ffs snapshots, the appropriate superblock fields
have been reserved).

Regarding the growfs problem, there's two solutions I see:

	- import FreeBSD's "growfs" (and ffsinfo):
		Pros:	it works
		Cons:	it's grow only

	- import der Mouse's "resizefs":
		Pros:	it can shrink as well as grow
		Cons:	it has bugs, which need fixing first

I'm leaning towards the latter, because the ability to shrink a file
system is useful. If that turns out to be ``too much work'', I can
always fall back to the FreeBSD stuff if necessary.

Luke.