Subject: RE: Heads Up: www.netbsd.org via IPv6
To: 'Hal Snyder' <hal@vailsys.com>
From: Jeroen Massar <jeroen@unfix.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/08/2001 10:00:09
itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> >> We're still working on a "see the dancing daemon" feature - if
> >> someone knows how to implement that, we'll be happy to hear about
> >> it. (We already have the anim-gif ;-)
>
> 	in cgi script, look at $REMOTE_ADDR.  it has either numeric IPv4
> 	address or numeric IPv6 address in it.

Simplest way is to check if there are any dots ('.') in that string

10.100.13.42 == IPv4
::ffff:10.100.13.42 == IPv4 10.100.13.42 in IPv6 way
3ffe:7357::1 == IPv6 "native"

Oh btw... above behaviour depends on the version of Apache and the
stack...
So sometimes the middle version doesn't pop up... but the dot-check
stays valid...
And don't complain if you got resolving turned on ofcourse...

> >Didn't Kame patent that?  ;-)
>
> 	no:-)
They should 'patent' or whatever that nice cuddly Kame (The turtles)
though ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen