Subject: Re: Floating exceptions in NEW_TOOLCHAIN i386 binaries
To: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
From: Jeff Thieleke <thieleke@yahoo.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/01/2001 23:35:30
> You're running these binaries from their compiled locations? i.e. have you
> installed these?
>
> They've been linked with a newer version of libc (and other libraries) than
> you have installed then which could cause issues.

No, I was just using /usr/obj/bin/ls/ls as an example of what happens
with many binaries built and installed when using NEW_TOOLCHAIN.  The
same thing happens with, for example, with the dynamically linked 'pstat
-s'.

I have horked up my system several times after a 'make build' installs a
new set of libraries and binaries and 'fsck' crashes at startup, or 'ls
-l' or 'top' no longer work.  And this only seems to occur when I have
built using USE_NEW_TOOLCHAIN.

Jeff Thieleke