Subject: Re: Embedded NetBSD on M$ Windows?
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: pascal <pdameme@nerim.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/31/2001 01:20:11
> This is not true. A windows device driver cannot define a new device name
> that can appear anywhere in the file system. Only the old DOS device names
> already listed have this property. New device drivers are always accessed
in a
> separate namespace that does not overlap the rest of the filesystem. This
is
> true for all Win32 windows systems from Windows 95 all the way up to
Windows
> XP.
Well, this is only partially true. The "Reparse Point" feature (introduced
in NT4, documented in W2K I think) may be used to insert a device into the
filesystem namespace; this is how the "volume mount" works. There is very
few constraint on what is really hidden behind a reparse point ...
Just my 2 cts.

Regards,
Pascal.