Subject: Re: Error: no such 386 instruction: `fxsave'
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/2001 19:26:00

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 01:01:36AM +0100, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:
> 20010803:
>      (i386 only): i386 kernel now uses new instructions like fxsave which
>      old gas doesn't understand.  To build the kernel successfuly, you
>      need to build and install new gas (gnu/usr.bin/

Don't get too excited., it would appear, cannot be built
without bfd, which doesn't exist unless you do a make build. I think
it's pretty obvious we're going in a circle here.

Just comment out compat I686_CPU, build a kernel, build the new
userland, then build a kernel with compat I686_CPU back in.

(I'm in the midst of doing this myself. See current-users from

       ~ g r @

Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (NetBSD)
Comment: For info see