Subject: Re: Embedded NetBSD?
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/2001 15:59:47
In message <3BDDD023.6030005@mac.com>, Andrew Cagney writes:
>It is wrong to assume that someone porting NetBSD to a new platorm will
>have access to an existing [native] NetBSD environment.  It is
>reasonable, however, to assume that they will have access to a UNIX like
>environment such as AIX, MINIX, Linux, CYGWIN, OpenBSD and even, gasp,
>NetBSD.

I am unconvinced.  Having recently encountered similar questions, the
conclusion I eventually came to is that there exist developers who are
using Windows environments to do builds targeted at a couple of other
platforms.  Such developers may be very happy with their current environment
and tools, and may reject any target that requires them to completely abandon
this environment.

We can call them crazy, and we may even be right, but on the other hand, if
making a very small number of trivial changes to our source tree makes life
easy for them, I'm all for it.

-s