Subject: Re: Embedded NetBSD on M$ Windows?
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/2001 16:26:21
[ On Monday, October 29, 2001 at 15:54:07 (-0500), Todd Vierling wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Embedded NetBSD on M$ Windows?
>
> There have been many *TNF developers*, not just users, who have expressed
> real-world need for hosting cross builds on Winblows, and there's been
> general agreement from my reviewing peers (the TNF developers) as a whole
> that the change was No Big Deal.  It's been reviewed and approved.  Get used
> to it, or go away.

Indeed the changes that have been made to date are "no big deal".  I've
said repeatedly that their specifics are not what's at issue here.

However it seems you've ignored the larger issue of future
maintainability here.  I thought John Nemeth explained fairly clearly
that any M$ Windows device driver can define a new device name and that
they can appear anywhere within the NTFS filesystem hiararchy.

Just because someone thinks they want some feature or ability or another
doesn't mean it's a good thing to give it to them, not even if they pay
you for the effort required to make it so.

--
							Greg A. Woods