Subject: Re: Embedded NetBSD?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/2001 16:02:36
On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 02:31:29PM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
> In message <20011029152736.A26757@rek.tjls.com>, Thor Lancelot Simon writes:
> >Since you can't commit to the NetBSD source tree, I don't see how it
> >could possibly matter to you.
>
> Perhaps he'd like to submit patches?

Well, he still can't commit them himself -- which means that this issue
simply does not directly impact him.  The people directly impacted by
the rule against checking in files with the small list of names that have
been placed off-limits are the people who can check in files *at all*;
that seems pretty darned obvious to me.

> >I would welcome comments on this issue from any _actual NetBSD developer_.
> >So far as I can tell, none of us mind -- and I haven't noticed any of us
> >who particularly appreciate your attempt to mind on our behalf, either.
>
> I thought those of us who submit occasional patches were "developers" too.

Not to say that your help is unwelcome, but that's just not how the Project
uses the term.  If you have commit access, you're a developer.  If you don't,
you're something more like one of the UCB "contributors".  The difference is
significant because it means that a developer will at least look over, and at
most significantly rework, your code before it ever hits the tree -- so
things like "please don't check in files named _X_" impact the developers
but they don't really impact you.  The developers are responsible for
compliance with the appropriate guidelines when they check in code; you
aren't.  Obviously, if you write code that you want to see in NetBSD, it is
more likely to be included if the developers have less work to do to get it
in shape to go in the tree, but that's a decision _you_ get to make.  Nobody
is forcing you to name your source files with any particular name, or not
with any particular name.

> That said, unless the naming conventions imposed get fairly odious, I don't
> care much.

Right, and the naming conventions are, like, so OBVIOUSLY TRIVIAL TO DEAL
WITH that AFAICT not a single actual developer -- in other words, not a
single actual member of the community directly impacted -- cares much,
either.

Again, here we have Greg screaming at the sky because it's raining.  One
would think that after the amount of time that had passed since he began
his great crusade to harass the developers into using his technical
judgement instead of their own, he would have noticed that most developers
care so little for what he has to say that they have him killfiled.  However,
evidently he has not noticed that yet -- or perhaps he just likes the sound
of his own voice.  A lot.

    And now he couldn't remember when this passion had flown, leaving him so
  foolish and bewildered and astray: can any man?
						   William Styron