Subject: Re: Embedded NetBSD?
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/2001 13:59:44
Thor Lancelot Simon said:

>I would welcome comments on this issue from any _actual NetBSD developer_.
>So far as I can tell, none of us mind -- and I haven't noticed any of us
>who particularly appreciate your attempt to mind on our behalf, either.

Although I am not a NetBSD developer, I will mention AT&T UWIN here.

http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/uwin/

The concept is interesting in that it can put the same development
environment across many different UNIX platforms as well as Microsoft
plaforms.

Back in 1996-1997 I was working for Samsung, in their network equipment
design laboratory. We were planning to do a network appliance with NetBSD
as the embedded OS. Since the developers there were already working on
other products using PSOS and VXWORKS unders windows, it was considered
a "good thing" to have a NetBSD development environment that would do
cross-compiles under NT and allow downloads to the appliance hardware.

I used UWIN to start hacking at something like the above. Unfortunately,
when Korea had there economic downturn, Samsung closed down our lab.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com