Subject: Re: Unicode Filenames
To: None <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/2001 14:34:38
[ On Monday, October 29, 2001 at 11:49:41 (-0500), gabriel rosenkoetter wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Unicode Filenames
> On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 10:12:13PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> > Plan 9 certainly. I don't know about others.
> Our situation is a little different that P9's though, isn't it? That
> is, we'd have to support unicode in both wscons and X. (Does XF86 4
> do unicode? Has there been any effort to make it?)

At the basic filesystem and kernel level Unix has always supported the
UTF-8 encoding of Unicode filenames (since long before Unicode was ever
dreampt of, in fact! :-), though with limited utility until the maximum
filename length was increased to a more reasonable 255 bytes.

UTF-8 was of course invented for Plan 9 and is a file format safe
multi-byte encoding of Unicode characters.

X11, through some of its applications (eg. Mozilla), already supports
Unicode too, in various encodings including UTF-8.

							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <>     <>
Planix, Inc. <>;   Secrets of the Weird <>