Subject: Re: UBC and occasional-use apps
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Lars Heidieker <lars@heidieker.de>
List: current-users
Date: 10/27/2001 21:22:22
At 05:15 PM 10/27/2001 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

>Lars Heidieker <lars@heidieker.de> writes:
> > I think there has been some discussion about the fact that libraries
> > are not acounted as vtext at all (in the current implementation).
>
>They should be, that's the thing. If a file is mmap'ed executable, it
>should be counted as vtext. It will fix a lot of problems.
That's absolutely true, but also for the data section we should take into
account if they are mapped into a process or not.
That way vtext and anon and mmap'ed files would be handle by lru
approximation and fs-cache-only pages would have a highe priority on
leaving physical memory. If we had the priority difference between
vtext/anon and vnode it would result in different behaviour for processes
how have cow'ed their datasections (converted them to anons) and those who
haven't (vnode but not vtext for datasection).

Lars