Subject: Re: UBC and occasional-use apps
To: Perry E. Metzger <>
From: Lars Heidieker <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/27/2001 21:22:22
At 05:15 PM 10/27/2001 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

>Lars Heidieker <> writes:
> > I think there has been some discussion about the fact that libraries
> > are not acounted as vtext at all (in the current implementation).
>They should be, that's the thing. If a file is mmap'ed executable, it
>should be counted as vtext. It will fix a lot of problems.
That's absolutely true, but also for the data section we should take into
account if they are mapped into a process or not.
That way vtext and anon and mmap'ed files would be handle by lru
approximation and fs-cache-only pages would have a highe priority on
leaving physical memory. If we had the priority difference between
vtext/anon and vnode it would result in different behaviour for processes
how have cow'ed their datasections (converted them to anons) and those who
haven't (vnode but not vtext for datasection).