Subject: Re: final testing: taylor-uucp package (fwd)
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/27/2001 12:59:02
On Mar 19,  8:08am, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
} On Sat, Oct 27, 2001 at 04:00:30AM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
}
} > BTW, I'm not sure under which directory and package name to commit this
} > package. Choices I see are
} >
} >  1) pkgsrc/comm/taylor-uucp
} >  2) pkgsrc/comm/uucp
}
} Um, plain old pkgsrc/mail/uucp would make more sense to me than comm,
} given uucp's most common usage, but listing it twice wouldn't be bad,
} once in mail and once in comm.

     However, UUCP is not a mail package, so it doesn't belong in
mail.  Yes, it is used most often for mail, but it is often used
quite frequently for small Usenet news feeds, and sometimes for general
file transfer.  You can also have it execute commands remotely,
although most people disable this for security reasons.  It is truely a
communications protocol and is quite versatile for jobs that can be
batched (obviously, it doesn't do interactive work).  I really think it
does not belong in mail, since it has very little to do with mail
directly.

}-- End of excerpt from Mason Loring Bliss