Subject: Re: UBC and occasional-use apps
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/27/2001 15:44:08
[ On , October 27, 2001 at 11:09:55 (-0400), Perry E. Metzger wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: UBC and occasional-use apps
>
> One problem is that we still incorrectly account for shared library
> pages as though they were file pages, which results in them getting
> nuked quickly (especially when we are dealing with huge shared libs
> like the ones for mozilla). Simply fixing that bug would be a giant
> win.

Yes, indeed -- this is a very interesting part of the problem!

I've been working on an experiment that has so far fixed it quite
completely, though of course it's not a solution that'll be suitable for
the masses (I set "LDSTATIC=-static" in /etc/mk.conf and have just begun
on the job of building packages that way too :-).

Another way to help reduce the number of pages which have to be restored
when an application "wakes up" is of course to try to improve the
locality of references.  Unfortunately our linker doesn't have the
ability to control the order that objects are stored in the binary.

(not sure what MacOS X is using for a linker, but it has this feature)

--
							Greg A. Woods