Subject: Re: ALI M5229's "check 80 pins cable" and controling pciide(4)
To: Takahiro Kambe <taca@sky.yamashina.kyoto.jp>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/27/2001 18:18:20
On Sat, Oct 27, 2001 at 11:01:18PM +0900, Takahiro Kambe wrote:
> Mine is a note pc, and I don't know it uses a real cable for UDMA but
> it uses own flexible type.  Is it really need 80pin cable for UDMA/66
> for all case?

Not if it has a special cable between the drive and controller.
The 80pin cable is a hack to improve a bit electrical properties of
standart IDE cable, while being compatible with other IDE devices
(otherwise, with 80 pins they could have made all signals differential,
and this would have solved a lot of problems :)

Maybe we could add a config flag to override the cable check ...

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>