Subject: Re: ALI M5229's "check 80 pins cable" and controling pciide(4)
To: None <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Takahiro Kambe <taca@sky.yamashina.kyoto.jp>
List: current-users
Date: 10/27/2001 23:01:18
In message <20011027153509.A763@antioche.eu.org>
	on Sat, 27 Oct 2001 15:35:09 +0200,
	Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org> wrote:
> > Changes sys/dev/pci/pciide.c between rev. 1.123 and 1.124 contains
>
> Note that there have been fixes for ALI support after 1.124; you should
> have at last 1.129.
Yes, I really used more recent version, and I shwed when bellow code
has added.

> > added code fragment bellow:
> >
> > 	if ((chp->ch_drive[0].drive_flags | chp->ch_drive[1].drive_flags) &
> > 	    DRIVE_UDMA) { /* check 80 pins cable */
> > 		if (pciide_pci_read(sc->sc_pc, sc->sc_tag, ACER_0x4A) &
> > 		    ACER_0x4A_80PIN(chp->channel)) {
> > 			if (chp->ch_drive[0].UDMA_mode > 2)
> > 				chp->ch_drive[0].UDMA_mode = 2;
> > 			if (chp->ch_drive[1].UDMA_mode > 2)
> > 				chp->ch_drive[1].UDMA_mode = 2;
> > 		}
> > 	}

I need to comment above code in acer_setup_channel() with revision 1.133.

> > I guess this checks some IDE cable types, but I'll happy this could be
> > settable in some way.
>
> Yes, it does check the cable type. Now we have to find why it doesn't work
> for you. Can you try another, non-80pin cable to see if it changes values
> here ?
Mine is a note pc, and I don't know it uses a real cable for UDMA but
it uses own flexible type.  Is it really need 80pin cable for UDMA/66
for all case?

> > 1. Setting DMA mode; CASIO FIVA MPC-20X model works fine with
> >    Mr. Shiozaki's patch.
> Yes, but this should work for both ATA and ATAPI devices. currently
> atactl works only for ATA drives where some ioctls may be appropriate to
> atapi too. scsictl is only for SCSI devices, where some features is
> appropriate for ATAPI devices too. I'm thinking at a way to get this rigth.
I see and I hope your good implementation.  :-)

> > 2. Setting downgrading DMA mode on error;
> Yes, I need to fix this too.
If I could take time, I'll try to write some code.

Lastly, thanks for your comment.

--
Takahiro Kambe <taca@sky.yamashina.kyoto.jp>