Subject: Re: UBC and occasional-use apps
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/26/2001 17:45:12
seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach) writes:
> So, if I don't browse any web pages for a few minutes, Mozilla gets paged
> out.
>
> Completely.

Welcome to our circa 1982 page replacement algorithm.

We need a better one. I have a couple of ideas and intend to see them
tested. There are some patches that Ross cooked up based on some
initial ideas of mine that were astonishingly effective but
unfortunately the implementation was "wrong" in a bunch of ways.

Meanwhile, I find doing this sort of thing in /etc/sysctl.conf
partially (PARTIALLY) improves things.

vm.anonmin=20
vm.vtextmin=20
vm.vnodemin=20