Subject: Re: UBC and occasional-use apps
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Lars Heidieker <lars@heidieker.de>
List: current-users
Date: 10/26/2001 07:37:29
Hi,

Netscape has a much smaller memory footprint so it comes back faster.
Mozilla with its big memory footprint shows the troubles you will have with
big memroy systems.
 From my point of view the problem is that the pageoutscanner does not make
any difference between fs-cache-only-pages and other memory. (until a
tuneable limit is reached) But the limit does not cope with the problem of
different workloads.
I have done a small patch that changes the scanner the way that it scans a
few pages (32) with the lru paradigm and afterwards it scans only for
fs-cache-only pages (reactivating others) this makes other pages "leaving
the physical memory" much slower.

Lars