Subject: Re: Distributing supp'ed files inside a network
To: Xavier HUMBERT <xavier@xavhome.fr.eu.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/23/2001 13:25:57
On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 09:41:52PM +0200, Xavier HUMBERT wrote:
> In message <Pine.GSO.4.21.0110231206500.11673-100000@rfhpc8317>,
> Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>
> > * Setup your own SUP Server - of course this means scanning the full disk
> >   once after SUP.
>
> Mmmh... basically, there's little difference between supserv and mirror,
> precisely because it means scanning the whole tree(s), and for each client.

No.  With supfilesvr you will run supscan once after supping the master copy.
Client connections should not stat() every file unless you use the "-o"
option.

I would suggest rsync, but it definitely thrashes your server as well.

> > Updating the SUP database from an existing SUP output
> >   would be nice, i guess.
>
> Well, lets's think about some perl-ish thing for that :-)

Maybe you could pull down the supscan output from ftp.netbsd.org and use
that directly.  Or after running it through sed or something to edit the
paths to match your local system.
(e.g. ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/sup/current/scan/allsrc )

-Andrew