Subject: NetBSD-current on Compaq Proliant Bootproblem
To: None <>
From: Feico Dillema <>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/2001 17:00:23

I am trying to boot NetBSD-current on some Compaq Proliant servers for
a client. It fails to boot with error message:

	uvm_page_physload: start >= end

This same kernel boots fine on other Intel hardware (a Dell laptop, a
HP Kayak PC and a Compaq DeskPro PC).

About 5 months ago I didn't have this problem booting -current on
these machines (-current of around May 2001). I suspect recent changes
to i386/machdep.c are to blame, but I'm a dummy wrt to such low-level
kernel code and  have no clue on how to debug this. I have browsed the
CVS tree to find updates that might be relevant. To me, it looks like
revision 1.427 of machdep.c was meant to fix the problem I'm seeing:

The log message on revision 1.427 says:

	If there remains no memory in a segment after we chopped off ``the last
	page,'' skip the segment.  Fixes boot problem on Compaq ProLiant ML370
	reported at current-users by Mark Davies.

which refers to this email:

This made me wonder whether this problem got re-introduced by recent
changes to machdep.c. I would really appreciate it if yuo can help me
with this problem (NetBSD-1.5.2 is not an alterative, as it also
doesn't boot not does it have support for the RAID controller in these

Any suggestions?

F. Dillema.