Subject: Re: make search in pkgsrc
To: Christian Hattemer <chris@heaven.riednet.wh.tu-darmstadt.de>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/11/2001 14:28:30
On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 07:11:03PM +0200, Christian Hattemer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> creating the index on the first run of make search in /usr/pkgsrc took over
> 5 hours, then I aborted it. Is it normal to take so long? I have a
> Thunderbird/1100, so this isn't a slow machine and the amount of data to
> process shouldn't be that huge.

I've noticed the same thing. My machine is only a Celeron 533, and I gave up
after about two hours.
The amount of data -isnt- that huge... thats what I didnt understand,
because the amount of data to process is roughly the same as the amount in
FreeBSD's ports collection, and when I used to run FreeBSD, make search
would do its thing right away.

what gives? is this some flaw in pkgsrc?
^ thats not to you personally, just wondering :)