Subject: X Problem, but I'm an X newbie, console addicted ...
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Xavier HUMBERT <xavier@xavhome.fr.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/09/2001 18:49:02
I just recompiled current xsrc (btw, the root makefile incorrectly says
you have to "make build", what is working is "make all install")

I configure using xf86config, there's no Intel 815 card, I use generic
SVGA. Then, when I launch startx, I got a ton of bad words :

> XFree86 Version 3.3.6a / X Window System
> (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6300)
> Release Date: November 30 2000
>         If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is newer
>         than the above date, look for a newer version before reporting
>         problems.  (see http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)

3.3 ? Why t.f. did I spend time to get current source and compile it, it
is supposed to be 4.0.1 ?

Then it miserably fails :

> (--) SVGA: PCI: Intel Unknown chipset (0x1132) rev 2, Memory @
>0xf0000000, 0xec000000
> (--) checkDevMem: warning: failed to open /dev/mem and /dev/xf86
>         (No such file or directory)
>         linear framebuffer access unavailable
> (--) SVGA: chipset:  generic
> (--) SVGA: videoram: 64k
> (**) SVGA: clocks:  25.18
> (**) SVGA: Using 8 bpp, Depth 8, Color weight: 666
> (--) SVGA: Using builtin driver modes
> (--) SVGA: Builtin Mode: 320x200
> (--) SVGA: Virtual resolution set to 320x204
> (--) SVGA: SpeedUp code selection modified because virtualX != 1024
>
> Fatal server error:
> xf86MapVidMem: Could not mmap /dev/vga (Invalid argument)

Note : My boss told me to stop compiling current kernels on prod
machines :-) So it is a 1.5.3ALPHA :

> [xavier@frodo xavier]$ uname -a
> NetBSD frodo.injep.fr 1.5.3_ALPHA NetBSD 1.5.3_ALPHA (XAVIER) #1:
> Tue Oct  9 12:15:13 CEST 2001
> root@frodo.injep.fr:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/XAVIER i386

Thanks for any help.

--