Subject: Problems with IPv4 multicast on 1.5.2 ???
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Feico Dillema <feico@pasta.cs.uit.no>
List: current-users
Date: 10/08/2001 18:54:28
Hi,

I am wondering whether I stumbled across a bug in 1.5.2 or that I am
missing something obvious. On a machine running 1.5.1_ALPHA and a more
or less -current machine, I can do the following:

ping 224.0.0.9
(or ping -I 10.0.0.1 224.0.0.9 or something like that)

and get a response from RIP routers. On these machines I also run a
RIP routing daemon successfully.

Now, I have  installed NetBSD-1.5.2 on some machines, and on these
a ping 224.0.0.9 (with or without -I specified) fail with a `No route
to host' message. Also the rip daemon gives such warnings/errors when
started and fails to send routing updates (it does receive them from
other machines).

Some fiddling learned me that adding a default route (to localhost
for example) `fixes' the problem and causes rip to run fine and the
pings too.  This certainly doesn't look like a proper solution to me.

Basically, I'm clueless as to what could cause this or to what the
proper solution is. Any pointers, ideas? Is this a 1.5.2 bug, some
misconfiguration by me??? Couldn't find any open bugs on multicast for
1.5.2, so I assume I'm doing something silly.

Feico.