Subject: Re: xsrc4 & perl (Was: Re: UUCP removal from OpenBSD)
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jaromír <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/07/2001 21:33:24
Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> Could we just pre-generate those fonts and check them in to the
> repository for now? It would be much better than not having them.

Okay, I will do this eventually.

> In fact, I have a scheme on how to get rid of the current scheme of
> sets files in src/dist and do things towards having a packagized
> install in a far more natural manner, all as a side effect of some
> work Wasabi is doing towards making it possible to do full system
> snapshots without being root.

Cool.

> However, I am also partially serious. It is often a lot nicer and
> easier to write large shell/awk/sed monstrosities in Perl instead. It
> would be very convenient to have some sort of Perl around, just as it
> was decided 20 years ago to include awk with the system. However, I
> know very well that no one is ever going to agree to it.

Indeed, it would be convenient to have some more capable scripting
language interpreter available in base system. If only bringing
perl into system would not mean 30+ MB of bloat.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
NetBSD - just plain best OS! -=*=- Got spare MCA cards or docs? Hand me them!