Subject: Re: xsrc4 & perl (Was: Re: UUCP removal from OpenBSD)
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Jaromír <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/06/2001 10:57:53
Martin Husemann wrote:
> On the other hand, I have to admit I've never missed the few fonts
> that, according to rumors, are not build on NetBSD because of a missing
> perl in the base system.

_I_ missed them. Note the iso8859-1 fonts are pregenerated and hence
available. The missing fonts are iso8859-2 and couple more iso8859-X
fonts (I think -8, -9 and maybe some others). Those only get generated
when HasPerl is defined, since the generation process uses some Perl
scripts.

I've tried to rewrite them in awk, but one of the two needed scripts
is quite complex and doesn't translate to awk quite good. I've started
some work on this, but suspended it for now due to 'too much work
for little gain' factor.

IMHO xsrc optional dependence on perl does not justify putting
this in base system. I gather Perry said that more to ridiculise
the UUCP removal issue and push for pkgized base system - I don't
believe he actually actively _wants_ perl in base NetBSD :)

The xsrc4 issue is easily solved by building official xsrc snapshots
with HasPerl defined, so that the extra fonts get generated. People
building their own xsrc don't need that commonly, since they
supposely already have the fonts installed :) Note that not even
Leenuks has HasPerl defined (only UnixWare, Solaris8 & FreeBSD
have).

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
NetBSD - just plain best OS! -=*=- Got spare MCA cards or docs? Hand me them!