Subject: Re: UUCP removal from OpenBSD
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: current-users
Date: 10/06/2001 10:03:04
> Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> writes:
> > If xsrc needs perl to build, xsrc should become a/some pkg(s) with proper
> > BUILD_DEPENDS.

This seems to have caused confusions. I meant stating that I'd prefer a
move of xsrc into pkgsrc (with all the update and other nightmares involved)
by far over the update nightmare of perl in basesrc.

I remember having to rebuild stuff for more than one day (including
encountering all the build failures typical to -current/fast changing stuff
in pkgsrc) when something in perl changed. Happened to me multiple times.

Perry answered:
> We need to maintain our own xsrc, or we won't have x servers for a
> wide variety of platforms. And no, maintaining 20Mb patch files in
> pkgsrc does *not* constitute source control.

Ok, in its current state this is right.
But in the future, we may have more stuff fed back to XFree (or the X
consortium, if that still is considered a separate organization). And we
may get rid of XF3.3.6. And local patches might get small... (I'm obviously
hallucinating now).

On the other hand, I have to admit I've never missed the few fonts
that, according to rumors, are not build on NetBSD because of a missing
perl in the base system.

Martin