Subject: Re: UUCP removal from OpenBSD
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/2001 20:39:27
On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 07:51:44PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Fine. I'll trade UUCP for Perl. There is lots of stuff that breaks
> these days because we're one of the last unixes not to have perl in
> the base distribution. Among other things, this makes several fonts
> from XFree 4.1.0 not build because we have no Perl to build them with.

Oh, cool. Perl. Which of the half dozen currently in use, and not very
compatible with each other, versions?

I've seen a computer science paper database go belly-up, apparently because
the Perl on the server machine was upgraded to 5.6.something, and the
database software is no longer maintained as the grant expired, as their
technical staff told me. (It fails to correctly parse and includes the reports
of my work now, which made my boss ask me to investigate ... I found out about
the perl problem when the web access showed me the perl error output).

And I've heard lots of complaints about the perl version included with FreeBSD,
because it's just the wrong one for real perl (as to FreeBSD internal) use.

If somebody wants to make UUCP into a working (!) package, fine with me.
If you break it, I won't be able to read the feedback e-mail for my PR.

Regards,
	-is