Subject: Re: UUCP removal from OpenBSD
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/2001 05:32:00
Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>  wrote:
 > On 1 Oct 2001, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
 >
 > > (My assumption is that Perl will be added when hell freezes over, but...)
 >
 > Personally, I'd go for adding perl at this point. At this point it's
 > much more popular than other tools we're keeping and maintaining, such
 > as awk and sed. I know it's huge, but the world uses it now, and we seem
 > to be growing anyway.

So, I'm not a Perl fan or anything but recognize that whenever I build a
new machine, I need to install Perl because sooner or later, I'm going to
find some script or application depends on it.

However, just installing 'Perl' never seems to be the answer.  It seems
like you have to use CPAN to go off and fetch about 500 seperate little
dependancies for each script you want to run.

That a scripting language needs a built-in mechanism to go out to the
world to retrieve the things it needs to operate, is a clear indication
to me of it's inadequacy of design.

So if you're going to lobby to have Perl mainlined (pun intended), then
you have to figure out how to make it useful for those who are not going
to be net.connected.

Of course, I could have this all wrong.