Subject: Re: RFC: Packaged NetBSD base system
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/2001 06:20:59
On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 11:56:42AM +0200, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
> 1) we adapt ftpd to also allow a directory to be fetched as an archive like
> ``ftp ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/.../src/usr.bin/tn3270.tgz'' where
> the tn3270 is just a source directory in -current or in -release ... not
> only handy in this situation but for more .... (or is it allready
> implemented?)
	huh?  I've been wishing for a feature like this, but why does it help here?

> 2) the `packages' are named by date ... i.e. snapshot dates. If you
> `upgrade' one it just takes the newest snapshot and thus invalidates the
> older ones it depends on automagically :) ... names like
> `tn3270-nb-20011002' f.e. are possible or whatever.... open for discussion
	Well, this isn't exactly a critical issue at this point, but we'd probably
want to include the release version in there somewhere.

> 3) Optional : change the package system so that it has `categories' like
> `base install' `compiler tools' etc etc... one of them could be the
> ``normal'' `3rd party packages' or whatever name fits....
	I was under the impression that this was part of the original plan.
Perhaps I'm just imagining it, but what I though I heard a while ago was:
 1) Entire NetBSD system gets split into fine grained packages with appropriate
dependencies to allow you to pick and choose what to install (and what to
build).
 2) All of these get grouped into categories consisting of the current tar
balls and possibly (probably) sub-categories within.
 3) sysinst allows you to pick and choose what categories, sub-categories,
individual packages you want to install or not install.  The default
installation might change to not include things like UUCP, but there is
still a complete install that gets everything.  (removing entirely/moving to
pkgsrc a partiular package is a separate decision)

The categories here correspond to the "Pakcage sets" in the NetBSD
system packages proposal, which describes what would need to be done.
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/projects.cgi?token=&mode=viewproj&projnum=26
This also mentions a little about the sysinst changes too.  But, it doesn't
seem to have been touched for a while.

eric