Subject: Re: UUCP removal from OpenBSD
To: Joseph Sarkes <jsarkes@tiac.net>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/2001 19:03:45
On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Joseph Sarkes wrote:

> Older hardware may only have uucp connectivity via serial ports....

Just to point out, if you've got serial ports, you've got PPP.

> If uucp, (or perhaps /bin/sh next?)....

And this sort of ludicrious extension really doesn't help the argument at
all. Nobody is proposing (or about to seriously propose) moving /bin/sh
to pkgsrc.

The strongest reason I can think of to move uucp to pkgsrc is because it's
got setuid stuff in it that has already resulted in a root exploit. Asking
a lot of people who don't use uucp to bear the burden of running around
and removing or updating it on all their machines when a security hole
is found in uuxqt is, well, not really fair, I think. And any machines
that haven't been updated are still at risk, of course....

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 3 5778 0123   http://www.netbsd.org