Subject: RFC: Packaged NetBSD base system
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/2001 11:56:42
Hi all,

well i've been following the discussion with great interest and i share the
opinion that indeed the NetBSD distro has grown too big lately.... I would
rather see a lot in packages too ...

One thing struck me : the talks about tarballs etc...  I propose the
following solution :

1) we adapt ftpd to also allow a directory to be fetched as an archive like
``ftp ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/.../src/usr.bin/tn3270.tgz'' where
the tn3270 is just a source directory in -current or in -release ... not
only handy in this situation but for more .... (or is it allready
implemented?)

2) the `packages' are named by date ... i.e. snapshot dates. If you
`upgrade' one it just takes the newest snapshot and thus invalidates the
older ones it depends on automagically :) ... names like
`tn3270-nb-20011002' f.e. are possible or whatever.... open for discussion
:)

3) Optional : change the package system so that it has `categories' like
`base install' `compiler tools' etc etc... one of them could be the
``normal'' `3rd party packages' or whatever name fits....

Idea's ?

Cheers,
Reinoud