Subject: Re: UUCP removal from OpenBSD
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/2001 19:51:44
Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com> writes:
> On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 01:06:27PM -0400, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
> > i still use uucp.
> >
> > i've been saying for years (since pkgsrc was created) that it should
> > be exiled to pkgsrc.
>
> Me too.  The idea that we can't _ever_ remove software from the NetBSD
> base distribution is one of the principal factors encouraging the recent
> and horrific bloat of NetBSD.  The amount of disk required for a minimal
> (base+etc) distribution has _doubled_ since 1.4.

Fine. I'll trade UUCP for Perl. There is lots of stuff that breaks
these days because we're one of the last unixes not to have perl in
the base distribution. Among other things, this makes several fonts
from XFree 4.1.0 not build because we have no Perl to build them with.

For some time now, we've had these "don't add anything without
universal consensus, don't remove anything without universal
consensus" style policies. Well, if you want to see consensus to
remove UUCP, lets talk about adding Perl.

(My assumption is that Perl will be added when hell freezes over, but...)

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com