Subject: Re: UUCP removal from OpenBSD
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/2001 10:35:44
On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> > If we want to include a tiny serial thing in the base distribution, I'd say
> > the miniature version of kermit ("gkermit") that's freely licensed (compared
> > to the rather restrictive C-Kermit license) would be a much better choice.
>
> That might be OK....  anything might be better than 'tip'!  ;-)

I predict no consensus will develop to include gkermit in the base.
For one thing, the 'g' in gkermit stands for GPL. More importantly,
it's not intended to stand in for a comm program; it's only purpose is
to implement the kermit protocol on the remote end. Given that the
transport is already supposed to be set up, there's no support for
manipulating serial ports.

Frederick