Subject: Re: UUCP removal from OpenBSD
To: Tomasz Luchowski <zuntum@netbsd.org>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/2001 07:19:22
Thus spake Tomasz Luchowski
> Does anyone use uucp these days? I have never used it, and I like
> the idea of removing obsolete (at least from my point of view) software.

I still use UUCP.  It is still an excellent mechanism for store and forward
type file transfers.  I even use it to transfer PAW information with a
major bank up here.  Lots of people use it over TCP/IP to transfer news.
There is definitely nothing obsolete about UUCP.

However, if it was changed to a package I could still survive.  Does it
use a lot of resources in the system?  I would hate to see us having to
go into packages every time we needed to use a less used utility.  Disk
space is cheap these days.