Subject: Re: UUCP removal from OpenBSD
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Baird <cjb@brushtail.apana.org.au>
List: current-users
Date: 10/01/2001 11:59:04
In the past I've used Taylor UUCP's "cu", included as a part of base,
to install the bulk of NetBSD onto non-networked systems like
68k-based Macintoshes and Amigas where Ethernet cards were difficult
to come by.

And until this year, my predominate net.access was still a dialup
shell account, and more than one NetBSD upgrade has come through
"~+rz". It also wasn't until then that I really understood the package
system, and I expect a lot of new users will be tripped up on having
to learn about pkg in the middle of setting up a system if they're in
the situtation where they have to rely on serial.

With 94% of the net.users in the most wired country in the world still
using modems, and not forgetting the situtation for the rest of the
world, IMHO it would be annoying to not have at least something
resembling a serial comms program in base (if not the install images
themselves).

--
Chris Baird,, <cjb@brushtail.apana.org.au>