Subject: Re: UUCP removal from OpenBSD
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/30/2001 21:54:34
On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
> Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
> >
> > > I think what we need is a 'localsrc' tree, where we can keep maintained
> > > (but not part of the base system) software.
> > >
> > > Things like UUCP, sendmail, postfix, a pop3 / imap server, etc..
> >
> > You mean, like "othersrc"???
>
> Is this actually being used? If not, it should be ;)

Sure, there's stuff in there. Check it out. It's available via anoncvs
and cvsweb. (Don't know about sup.) It doesn't make packages, or even
tarballs, and I don't recall that that's ever been suggested (until now).

It wouldn't do to move everything into othersrc -- there's "overhead"
in removing something from basesrc, in that the cvs history never goes
away, and therefore the directories never go away -- but if uucp must
leave basesrc, I would rather see it move into othersrc, or something
like it, than into pkgsrc.

One problem I see already with moving uucp into othersrc is that the
charter of othersrc (the README) specifically prohibits GPL'd sources.

Frederick