Subject: Packaged NetBSD base system. (Re: UUCP removal from OpenBSD)
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/30/2001 19:56:58
On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 05:33:38PM -0600, Rick Kelly wrote:
> Yes, Solaris has gone completely overboard.
>
> rattler> uname -a
> SunOS rattler 5.8 Generic_108528-08 sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-4
> rattler> pkginfo | wc -l
>      373
	Assuming they are grouped appropriately, the plethora of packages will
just take up some room in the package database.

> The seven binary tarballs shipped with NetBSD do the job.
	Sure, just without any flexibility (which is the whole point of packaging
everything).
	If you're worried about having a hard time being able to tell what a
particular system has I believe the idea is to have all the fine-grained
packages be part of several meta-packages that would correspond to the
current tar balls.  If you want to update only a single part of the system
(for example, due to a security fix) you need the fine-grained information.
But since it'll be grouped together into a meta-package you'll be able to
update/view/whatever the whole thing at once (say, to a new release).
(There are some improvements to the package tools that need to happen first
though)

eric